Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Color Hues


This is our color wheel from last week, and I said I was going to go into more depth about it.

A color wheel is your friend. It will show you what matches with what and what colors will look good on you.

I recently painted my sun porch... I had comment after comment on my face book about how did I get the colors right? HUES

The rings of the color wheel are HUES, you can combine any color hue with the same hue of a different color.

So I can do the greens with the plums as long as they are of the same hue.

If you cant grasp hues from a wheel, you can at Wal-Mart! if you go to the paint swatches



If you look down the strip of paint swatches, you can see how one color becomes the next. if you are painting and you want to do a dual color room as my porch is, you simply pick out a color you like then buzz along the swatches in the same location until you find the next color you like.



Color designers do this with the wheel. Its smaller and more compact and well you don't have to have a ton of swatches. That's how the rug balances so wonderfully, as you can see, the rug has yellow the lime green and a TEAL. Wait! Yellow and green sure, they are next to each other on the wheel but teal?

Here is the wheel again, find the yellow that matches my porch. Move to the left of it and you will find my lime green, then you skip over a green and there it is the TEAL. Now I chose not to use teal accents in my sun room, I wanted the look of spring. But I could have gone with teal as well.

I love this room I love the colors, but I cant wear them. But that's OK I can still enjoy the room.

The same goes for your closet, if you have a teal skit, you can wear a purple sweater with it provided they are of the same hue.


Or even nail polish for that matter, I did this konad stamp a while back the two colors are the same hue. After you start looking for hues they are easier to spot.

Now that you understand what your season is, and what colors are going to look best on you and how to match separates by hue, I think it is time for all of us to go shopping and buy a really great looking outfit!

No comments: