Friday, June 19, 2009

THE STORY OF THE DRAGON


THE STORY OF THE DRAGON

When I first found out that I was ill with some sort of Lymphoma, I decided that I was not cancer that the cancer was not part of me, it was not God Given. It was something God had allowed to help me grow as well as a few others on the way.


So I started to think of a name for my cancer. Now when I have a smashing idea like this one I always look for input from others. So I asked my big sister to come up with a name for my cancer. She thought I was off my rocker. But she said she would think about it.


Well, the next day she calls me and tells me that God woke her with the answer. My cancer was a dragon. Now I think of dragons and happy luck dragons that only do good. But she pointed out that there are bad dragons too, and that is what I had.


As we bounced this idea around for a while we decided the dragon was a fire breather, which explained the high fevers. And where there is fire there is smoke, which explains the choking cough that I have.


OK so I figured I can go with this. We started talking about princesses that needed rescued, and knights in shining armor fighting dragons. But the more I thought about it the more I realized that I wasn’t a princess, I was the Knight, the Warrior that will be doing this fighting. So knights on White steeds just weren’t the right idea.


So I started looking for a picture of a woman warrior. I finally found the one that is on the sidebar. When I clicked on this photo it took me to a woman’s myspace page.


By this time I was praying that there was no way this was what God truly wanted me to use to represent my cancer. Oddly, I started praying that if God wanted me to use this whole dragon theme, he was going to have to show me a bit of proof.


Well, when I clicked open the myspace page I was hit with the person’s code name. “Former prostitute, heroin addict saved by the grace of God”


OK God you Got me.


I scrolled down to the picture and under it was a quote from Ephesians 6:10-12 it was paraphrased though, so I waited to look it up until I was in the hospital.

What I read in the hospital was this:


Ephesians 6:10-18 (The Message)

A Fight to the Finish

10-12And that about wraps it up. God is strong, and he wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we'll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels.


13-18Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.

2 comments:

SHOEEEE said...

Where Be-ith the picture of CAKEEEEEEEEEE

Krista said...

The reference to cake in the above comment refers to this post:

http://kristaisslayingthedragon.blogspot.com/2009/07/german-chocolate-cake.html