Sunday, April 4, 2010

No More Perennials


Perennials and bulbs, the best stuff to put in a bed. They come back every year.

Well this bed was over run with bulbs that didnt bloom because they were too thick, and ferns EVERYWHERE that shaded out all of everything. It was just a mess.

Perennials are good, but since I was unable to work this bed the year of my treatment and the year prior to treatment ( I started getting sick a full year before diagnosis) so two years and this bed just went WILD!

NO MORE! we have drug out every living thing out of it. (except for a few stray bulbs that I will have to weed out)

And instead of perennials, I think I will used this for a few vegetables this year.

It felt so good to get my hands back into the dirt! While I was having chemo I was not allowed to garden at all for a few reasons. the chemo I had gave me light sensitivity. More than 10 mins in the direct sun shine, would give me a very bad sunburn ( I saw many people ignore this during my treatment and they suffered from it) and if i had gotten a cut on a finger and not seen it to disinfect it, getting an infection in that cut could have possibly put me in the hospital.

Incidentally, I got three cuts on my finger tips just doing this today.

I do have to say a big thank you to Steve who worked by my side and got his hands dirty to help me get this done. and a big thank you to Michelle for tilling the last 2 rows after it started getting "damp" in the air and I couldn't breathe well enough to continue.

No comments: