Sunday, March 28, 2010

empty nest syndrome??


Ok so I have heard lots from other parents about this dreaded disease. How they can't BEAR to have their "baby" leave home.

I don't get this either. I am excited that shes leaving! Yes I will acknowledge that i will miss her. But the things that i have done to get her here. the long talks the lectures she pretended to ignore. I have been prepairing for My child to grow up and leave for college since she was born. (wish the economy hadnt collapsed)

I knew that one day she would turn 18 (if i didnt kill her first) and then she would GO. If it all went well she would GO to college. I prayed she wouldn't GO to get married. But I was willing to let her do that if she chose.

But Go is what she would do. If she didnt GO then I messed up somewhere. Shes not my baby anymore. She hasnt been a baby since the blizzard of '93 when she got snowed in at my mom's and Mom weaned her off her "nite nite" bottle.

Nope, at the time she looked at me and said "Mommy when I grow up, I wanna cure cancer" she was about 5 or so... I replied with "well then little girl, you better do really good in school so you can get into a good college, Cuz you cant cure cancer flipping burgers"

I knew then that I had to deal with "shes going to grow up and shes going to leave you" deal with it now.

I am really excited about the college she chose. Its close enough if she needs me I can get to her easily enough. But far enough away that I don't have to see the ins and outs of her everyday life. I have great confidence in this college that they are going to take care of her and guide her in the next four years of her growing up.

I have plans for her room. I am ready to buy the paint now. She has senioritis. But I don't know what you call what I have? It isnt empty nest syndrome. That's sadness and depression that your house is empty.

I WANT MINE EMPTY. But I can't seem to find this anywhere! I think it would be called "leaveforcollegenow syndrome"

What ever you call it. As much as we miss each other when we are apart, all the way down to how much we drive each other crazy when we are together. I know were cool. we are both just really ready to move forward in our lives. and thats good too.

No comments: