Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A look back at my Treatment

Yesterday was my "proposed" last treatment barring no problems with my next scans to determine that I am cancer free.

Today I thought I would share a bit of what My chemo has been all about.

This is me all hooked up waiting for my last treatment.....
I have already taken two tylenol to fight off the possibility of fever and a 50 mg Benadryl to counteract any alergic reaction.




This is my "pre-treatment" its is a combination of steroids (accountable for the 40lb I have gained since I have started treatment... well that and the cake) it also has an anti nausea med in it... sometimes that worked sometimes it did not. so I always bring my compazine with me just in case.
The bag on the left is saline used to flush the tubes and my port of one med before we start the next, when i started out prior to my port we used the BIG bag of saline because the DTIC (Dacarbazine) was very caustic to my teeny tiny veins.


These are My three "Pushes" they are called pushes because they are given as an IV injection over a certain period of time I am uncertain of the times even though I have seen it done 12 times now and they tell me every time I keep forgetting which ones are what times one is like ten mins and one is like five. These are given in a certain order and over the certain times because it is related to cell process and order. Some medical thing about how the cells divide.

I will name them for you from left to right.
Velban (Vinblastine)
Adriamycin (Doxorubicin) I know I have this first and its red like Koolaide
Blenoxane (bleomyacin) this med will give me a horrible sunburn if i go out in the sunshine for more than 15 mins at a time.


DTIC (Dacarbazine) is the three hour drip, I dont have a picture of that, it is light sensitive so its encased in a black bag to keep it from the light....

If you would like to find out more about them i have provided a link that its really easy to read up on them.
This is my Chemo nurse Barb ... She has been doing this for ten years and in those ten years she has only seen one Hodgkin's patient return for more chemo. I made her a macreme plant hanger as a thank you for being such a great nurse for me.


The chemo lab is set up in a half moon overlooking a beautiful garden with fountains and landscaping. this spring this was beautiful, the only problem with that is its beautiful; and you are stuck sitting inside looking at it instead of experiencing it. But still better than looking at hospital walls.



This is the bell of finished treatment
Because my treatment was so long no one was there to see me ring it except
Barb and Steve

No comments: