Tuesday, December 22, 2009

New Doc

This is my new Radio Oncologist. David B. Nagel , MD
He is wonderful. He took the time not only to explain my options, but to make certain that they ARE options. and if I didnt like what he had to say that I should feel free to check with another doctor. I just love that in a doctor too me, it shows confidence and knowledge.

I had lots of concerns when I went in, mostly about how radiation exposure can CAUSE cancer. That's why you get a lead apron when you get x-rays of your teeth. Enough concerns that I didnt even want to have radiation done. yea, I was really freaked out.

But I never got a chance to ask him any questions, the first thing he told me was how radiation has changed since the world went digital. They will use my cat scan that shows my tumor (or rather where it was) and "merge" it with one since the chemo was finished this will show just where they need to focus the radiation too. and it will work up some computer program. (I think) so I dont have to be all inked up... but I am guessing on that... that would be cool not to have ink all over the place.

The next thing he told me was how with Hodgkins they have found that lower doses of radiation to follow up chemo works just as good as the higher doses they used to use. The higher doses used to cause fatalities by Breast cancer & Lung cancer. so yes a decrease in hodgkins deaths but an increase in other forms of cancer that were actually CAUSED by the treatment... but now with the lower doses, and the more accurate aiming, the bad stuff from radiation is OH so much not as bad. Best of all I wont get sick to my stomach, and it wont touch my hair!

so my two biggest concerns... he took care of before I had a chance to think.

:)

anyhow so only three weeks M-F of radiation. This will increase my chance of non recurrence by 25%. made the odds sound OH so much better and its just another month. whats one more month? The hardest part will be going every day for three weeks.

No comments: