Wednesday, September 2, 2009

TREATMENT WITH A MEDI PORT



this is how they hook up my chemo... It is a really neat thing now.

the tiny white ring? in the center of that is a syringe needle that is short maybe 1/2 inch it goes strait back toward my chest. they plunge (yes thats the right word) strait into my port. the hard plastic backing keeps it from going through. but since they had to sever the nerve endings in my skin i barely feel a pin prick. that whole area now feels like it feels if you have a band aid covering your skin.

once they get my "rig" set up then they can do a flush and then draw off my blood sample for my weekly blood work. then another flush. leaving any blood in the port could cause the port to clog. thats really bad.

after they get my blood sample i go back to the waiting room and wait to see my doctor that take a about 30 mins. then i see him for a bit he goes over the results of my blood work with me then back to the waiting room for my treatment.

the rig they used for my blood draw is still right there (just like the picture) and they just hook into it for my treatment. I cant tell you how much nicer this is! I wish they had done this before i was this far along!

If i have any readers out there thinking about this.. If your doctor or a nurse has suggested this to you do not wait! talk it over with your doctor and get it done if he agrees. it is SO MUCH BETTER!!!!

PS... If you happen on this blog post due to a search, make certain you see this post as well... they kinda go hand in hand.... it shows what it looks like PRIOR to insertion

No comments: